Current:Home > InvestFederal appeals court blocks remainder of Biden’s student debt relief plan -Dynamic Wealth Solutions
Federal appeals court blocks remainder of Biden’s student debt relief plan
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:46:46
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal appeals court blocked the implementation of the Biden administration’s student debt relief plan, which would have lowered monthly payments for millions of borrowers.
In a ruling Thursday, the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals granted a motion for an administrative stay filed by a group of Republican-led states seeking to invalidate the administration’s entire student loan forgiveness program. The court’s order prohibits the administration from implementing the parts of the SAVE plan that were not already blocked by lower court rulings.
The ruling comes the same day that the Biden administration announced another round of student loan forgiveness, this time totaling $1.2 billion in forgiveness for roughly 35,000 borrowers who are eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program.
The PSLF program, which provides relief for teachers, nurses, firefighters and other public servants who make 120 qualifying monthly payments, was originally passed in 2007. But for years, borrowers ran into strict rules and servicer errors that prevented them from having their debt cancelled. The Biden administration adjusted some of the programs rules and retroactively gave many borrowers credits towards their required payments.
Two separate legal challenges to Biden’s SAVE plan have worked their way through the courts. In June, federal judges in Kansas and Missouri issued separate rulings that blocked much of the administration’s plan to provide a faster path towards loan cancellation and reduce monthly income-based repayment from 10% to 5% of a borrower’s discretionary income. Those injunctions did not affect debt that had already been forgiven.
The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals issued a ruling that allowed the department to proceed with the lowered monthly payments. Thursday’s order from the 8th circuit blocks all aspects of the SAVE plan.
The Education Department said it was reviewing the ruling. “Our Administration will continue to aggressively defend the SAVE Plan — which has been helping over 8 million borrowers access lower monthly payments, including 4.5 million borrowers who have had a zero dollar payment each month,” the administration said. “And, we won’t stop fighting against Republican elected officials’ efforts to raise costs on millions of their own constituents’ student loan payments.”
—
The Associated Press’ education coverage receives financial support from multiple private foundations. AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.
veryGood! (55)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Ava Phillippe Revisits Past Remarks About Sexuality and Gender to Kick Off Pride Month
- A mass parachute jump over Normandy kicks off commemorations for the 80th anniversary of D-Day
- NASA reschedules Boeing's Starliner launch for later this week
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- An African American holiday predating Juneteenth was nearly lost to history. It's back.
- Using Less of the Colorado River Takes a Willing Farmer and $45 million in Federal Funds
- Water begins to flow again in downtown Atlanta after outage that began Friday
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Strong earthquakes shake area near Japanese region hit by Jan. 1 fatal disaster, but no tsunami
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Beloved surfboard-stealing otter spotted again off Northern California shore
- Remembering D-Day, RAF veteran Gilbert Clarke recalls the thrill of planes overhead
- 1 family hopes new law to protect children online prevents tragedies like theirs
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Plan to attack soccer events during Paris Olympics foiled, French authorities say
- Adele calls out 'stupid' concertgoer for shouting 'Pride sucks' at her show: 'Shut up!'
- Coco Gauff says late finishes for tennis matches are 'not healthy' for players
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Role reversal: millions of kids care for adults but many are alone. How to find help.
Using Less of the Colorado River Takes a Willing Farmer and $45 million in Federal Funds
Beloved surfboard-stealing otter spotted again off Northern California shore
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Gypsy Rose Blanchard Reveals How She Deals With the Online Haters
Sally Buzbee steps down as executive editor of the Washington Post
Swimmer Katie Ledecky on Chinese doping scandal and the Paris Olympics